Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Left in a Closet

First off, you need to know, that my brother bought my parent's house. The house I grew up in. Secondly, his wife is due to have their second baby in February. They finally got around to cleaning out the third bedroom in anticipation of the new arrival. In the closet of that bedroom they found this.....




My wedding dress. It was the second dress that I tried on and I fell in love with it. At the time, it was exactly what I was looking for in a wedding dress, down to the long sleeves and the "puffs" at the shoulder..


My mom made my veil. I just couldn't see spending top dollar on a store bought veil. I was looking for simple. It was getting close to the wedding and my mom was getting anxious about the veil. I told her to just put lace around the sheer fabric and attach it to a decorated barrette. I think it took her all of 20 minutes to complete, and I loved it.


It's not the wedding dress I would buy if I were getting married tomorrow, but I remember how much I loved it at the time. I dearly wish I could try it on. Sadly, I've gained enough weight to make this impossible. I might be able to get my leg in it, I'll have to see.


Now, this poor dress is shoved in my closet, but really where else would I put it?

4 comments:

Katie said...

I think your dress is beautiful...puffs and all! What a treat to "go down memory lane" - what a fun time in life that was!! I understand what you mean by not knowing what else to do with your dress but to put it in your closet. Mine is downstairs preserved in a box!

Dawn said...

I think you're dress is very pretty. No matter what, as time goes by, we never look at styles the same. But truthfully, I think it is pretty. My dress has traveled all over the eastern US and it now rests in its bag in our closet too.

♥ Amy said...

What do you mean, you can't fit into it anymore? I didn't think you had changed a bit!

My mom kept her dress in a closet in our house. My sister and I used to try it on once in awhile for fun. Mom was 98 lbs. when she got married, though, so it was kind of snug on us. It was always fun to picture her as young and tiny and in love, though. Your girls will treasure your dress some day even if they never wear it for their weddings.

Julia said...

I agree, that is a pretty dress. Mine's downstairs in a storage bin. I also cannot fit into mine anymore. Something about having babies...

I tried my mom's dress on when I was about 14 and couldn't get up past my wasit! My mom was tiny too. She could wrap her hands around her waist and touch fingers! Ugh! She was super model skinny.