Thursday, December 11, 2008

It's Just a Day

Let me start off by saying that I thoroughly enjoyed my wedding day. I didn't micro-manage everything and I didn't worry about everything going perfectly. I was able to completely enjoy it all. Even when my veil almost caught on fire, blowing out the unity candle. Shannon also started to put my veil back over my head after our wedding kiss as if he had changed his mind. We still laugh about this!

I use to joke that the only reason I wanted a wedding, as opposed to eloping, was for the photos. Here's a few of mine.






(I put this picture because I think I look thin!)

There are a few things I would change about my wedding if the wedding were to happen tomorrow.
1. My dress
2. My hair (Hey, I was just getting good at that "poof" before I realized it had been out of style for half a decade.)
3. The man who married us. (It wasn't Pastor Y)
4. 3 out of 5 of my bridesmaids (We are just not close anymore)
5. The reception - where it was
6. The rehearsal dinner
7. The photographer (They're out of business)
8. The bridesmaid's dresses (I thought it was something they could wear again. Don't most brides think that?)
9. The flowers (Not the people that arranged them. They did great.)
10. The color scheme
11. The tuxes (They would still wear tuxes, but I would do away with the bow ties)
12. The reception - decoration (I would put more time into the decorations.)
13. The guest book pen (It had the wrong date on it - long story)


One thing I wouldn't change......THE GROOM. It's not about the wedding day. It's about the marriage. It doesn't really matter what kind of dress you have, or if you have the right flowers ...it's just a day. It's more important to prepare for the marriage than it is the wedding.

I said all that to say this. If you are not already married, go ahead and plan a great wedding. I do recommend that you keep it simple. You'll enjoy the day more. Spend much more time preparing for the marriage. Say "yes" to the right guy not just the first guy that asks or because you want to be married. Wait for the one God has for you. Can you imagine how awful it would be if I looked back and wanted a different groom? Start praying now for your future groom. Not just that you'll just find one, but that you'll find the "right" one. Pray for your future marriage

I was blessed to marry the man God had for me at 22, but I'd like to think I would have patiently waited if that was God's plan.

If you're already married, dig out your wedding pictures if you have them. Admire them.Post a few. I love looking at wedding photos. Remember how thrilled you were that day. I sometimes miss the "newness" of married life, but it's so much better now. We've grown closer together over the years and I can't wait to know him better in years to come.

.

5 comments:

Julia said...

Oh how sweet! I'm getting out my wedding photos right now!

You looked perfect on your special day, like a porcelain doll.

Dawn said...

You were a beautiful bride, like Julia said...a porcelain doll. 1994? Wow! What a great post and very wise words.

Wedding pictures are coming.

Dawn said...

BTW...Trina Brown is in the background...pregnant. :) Too funny.

stacy said...

Hey, I had that poof right along with you. Weren't we in?
Love the pictures, thanks for sharing. Great advice, too.
Is that really Trina? Too funny!

♥ Amy said...

I really enjoyed this post, Michelle. I'll have to dig out some of our photos. You at least have me remembering a lot from our special day.

Why did Trina use a cane when she was pregnant? Oh, that's not her in the blue?

BTW, I liked seeing a face to go with your comment this morning. You're finally getting into this blogging thing lately. :)